Whether you pick the Whirlwind Axe, Whirlwind Sword, or Whirlwind Warhammer, the Whirlwind weapon is a very good boost for leveling warriors, especially if you are able to get it early.
The earliest level you can attain the Whirlwind weapon is level 30. However, the quests are quite difficult to complete (without help) at that level. Realistically, a warrior could solo this quest chain around level 38-40. The Whirlwind weapon is overpowered at level 30, so if you can convince someone to help you complete the quest chain then, you will have a much easier time leveling in the early 30s.
- Complete the Berserker Stance warrior quest chain (available at level 30 from warrior trainers located in capital cities):
- Complete the Whirlwind Weapon quest chain:
- The Windwatcher – talk to Bath’rah the Windwatcher (follow the river north from Southshore/Tarren Mill. He’s in the ruins on the eastern bank).
- Cyclonian – Gather the following:
- Liferoot x8 – herbalism or auction house.
- Bloodscalp Tusk x30 – drops from Bloodscalp Trolls in northwest Stranglethorn Vale (SW of Nesingwary and N/NE of Grom’Gol).
- Essence of the Exile – crafted by combining the following drops (or purchase charms from auction house):
- The Summoning – Kill Cyclonian.
- Whirlwind Weapon – talk to Bath’rah the Windwatcher and select your weapon.
Obtaining the Whirlwind Weapon consists of two main components:
- Complete the Berserker Stance quest chain.
- Complete the Whirlwind Weapon quest chain.
Berserker Stance Quest Chain
To start the Berserker Stance quest line, talk to the Warrior class trainer in any major city. You must be at least level 30.
Travel to The Barrens and speak with Klannoc Macleod. Klannoc can be found on an island southeast of Ratchet at (68,49). For Alliance players, take the boat from Booty Bay, Stranglethorn Vale to Ratchet.
Step on the grate near Klannoc to start the event. Waves of challengers will attach you every 12-18 seconds. Kill each challenger and then finally kill Big Will at the end.
Demoralizing Shout will act as a ‘fear’ to the challengers. This can be especially useful if you are low on HP (i.e. cast Demoralizing Shout and then bandage yourself while the challenger is feared).
Whirlwind Weapon Quest Chain
After completing The Affray, Klannoc will give you The Windwatcher quest.
Travel to Southshore (Alliance) or Tarren Mill (Horde) in Hillsbrad Foothills and then follow the river north. You will eventually find some troll ruins on the eastern (right) side of the river. Talk to Bath’rah the Windwatcher in a small hut.
This is probably the most time consuming part of the entire quest chain. You must collect the following items:
- Liferoot x8 – If you are an herbalist, you can gather these yourself (they typically spawn near water). Otherwise, purchase these from the Auction House.
- Bloodscalp Tusk x30 – These drop from Bloodscalp Trolls in northwest Stranglethorn Vale (SW of Nesingwary and N/NE of Grom’Gol).
- Essence of the Exile – crafted by combining the following drops (or you can purchase charms from Auction House):
Before, completing the next quest, consider purchasing a Nature Resistance Potion from the Auction House, as it will make the next quest significantly easier.
Once you have collected all of the items, right click on the cauldron near Bath’rah to craft the Essence of the Exile.
After completing the previous quest, Bath’rah will immediately begin summoning Cyclonian. Cylonian can be a bit tough to kill. However, a Nature Resistance Potion will make it a lot easier.
After defeating Cyclonian, simply talk to Bath’rah one last time to select your Whirlwind Weapon! All three of them have the same stats (+15 str/+14 stam) and thus are all good. Generally, just pick your favorite or the one weapon that you have specced into.